These apple carrot muffins are the answer to your busy morning routine! They are full of nutrients like fiber, healthy fats and whole grains.
- 1.5 cups flour (I used all purpose, scooped with a spoon and leveled off)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
- 3/4 cups oats, old fashioned is best
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, light brown sugar will work too
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (or other plant based alternative)
- 1 cup carrots, shredded ( 2-3 small carrots)
- 1 medium apple, shredded, skin on (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare 12 muffin pan.
- Mix the flour, ground flaxseed, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until no clumps appear.
- Add in shredded carrots, apples and raisins and gently fold into batter.
- Scoop out 1/2 cup of batter into muffin cups until no batter is left over.
- Bake at 375F for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick runs clear.
Do not squeeze out the water from the shredded apple or carrots.
Quick cooking oats will work in this recipe too.
If you wanted to make these vegan, swap out the eggs for 2 flax eggs (1/4 cup water, 2 tbsp flaxseed) in a separate bowl for 5 minutes to gel together, then add back to the batter.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple carrot breakfast muffins, breakfast muffins, carrot apple muffins