This casserole is a tasty holiday side dish that is gluten free and option to be vegan. The combination of polenta, mushrooms and thyme creates a harmonious blend of flavors that lends a new definition to comfort food.
2 packages of polenta logs, sliced 1/2 inch thick
16 oz Portabella mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil (I used EVOO)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
4-5 sprigs of thyme leaves, plucked
salt and pepper to taste
additional thyme leaves to garnish
- Prepare casserole dish and preheat oven to 350F.
- Place polenta slices into casserole dish accordion style, as depicted in the picture above.
- Saute garlic in olive oil over medium high heat. When garlic is fragrant add in sliced mushrooms and cook until mushrooms start to become soft. Do not overcook the mushrooms.
- Gently pour mushrooms and garlic over sliced polenta in the casserole dish.
- Return pan to medium heat on the stove and melt butter. As the butter begins to melt, add in half of the flour and milk, whisk to combine. As roux forms, add in remaining flour and milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add the parmesan cheese and 3-4 sprigs of plucked thyme leaves into the roux. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350F.
- Remove from oven and garnish with additional thyme leaves and sprigs as desired.
Vegan: Use vegan butter, vegan cheese and milk alternative.
Keywords: Baked polenta and mushroom casserole, healthy casserole, gluten free casserole