This blackened salmon recipe explains how to make blackened salmon and what sides to pair it with! This recipe comes together in 15 minutes and is a great weeknight dinner meal.
- 12-16 ounces salmon filet
- 2 tbsp oil (avocado is best, other cooking oils will work)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine all the spices into a small bowl or glass dish. Mix to combine.
- Pat salmon dry and rub spice blend onto one side of the salmon. If you are using a skin-on filet, rub the spice onto the flesh side.
- Pour oil into a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet over medium/high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, place the salmon, seasoned side down onto the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on this side, then flip over.
- Cooking time might vary depending on thickness of salmon and how well you like your salmon cooked. I like mine fully cooked, so it was cooked 2 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other side until no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
If you have a meat thermometer, cook until internal temperature reaches 145F.
Nutrition was calculated using 12 ounces of salmon.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: frying, sautéing
- Cuisine: cajun, creole
Keywords: blackened salmon, blackened salmon recipe, How to make blackened salmon, how to cook blackened salmon