This cheesy poblano skillet dinner is a versatile, budget friendly dinner that will have the whole family excited. It’s low in carbohydrates and can also be gluten free and vegetarian!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup flour (can use GF if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups of Sharp Cheddar Cabot Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- Garnish: Cilantro
- Cook ground turkey in a deep sauce pan until no longer pink. Set aside in bowl when finished cooking.
- While the ground turkey is cooking, roast the poblano peppers using one of the three methods. Stovetop: If you have a gas range, place peppers over open flame and cook until skin is blistered and charred. Remove from heat and place on a plate covered with plastic wrap or a lid. Wait 5-10 minutes and wipe off charred skin with paper towel. Oven: Preheat oven to 425F and rub each pepper with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes on each side or until skin is blistered and charred. Remove from oven, set on a plate and cover with plastic wrap or a lid. After 5-10 minutes, wipe charred skin away with paper towel. Grill: Follow same steps as the stovetop method.
- Once the poblano pepper skin is wiped off, remove stem and gut out the seeds from the inside. Dice the peppers and set aside.
- Using the same skillet that the ground turkey was cooked in, place the onions with olive oil and begin to saute until translucent. Add in garlic and peppers and continue to cook over medium heat until softened.
- Once the pepper mixture is cooked, sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour and mix well. Next, slowly pour 1 1/2 cups of milk over the mixture and stir.
- Add in 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar Cabot cheese and stir the mixture until it thickens and the cheese is melted.
- Add in cup of corn and cooked ground turkey, stir to fully incorporate.
- Remove skillet from heat and squeeze fresh lime juice prior to serving. Option to garnish with cilantro leaves.
See above section for ways to serve and eat.
- Category: Dinner, Entree
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: poblano peppers, skillet dinner, cheesy poblano skillet dinner