This chicken alfredo with sun-dried tomatoes is a new twist on a classic dish! It's a healthier alternative to the classic, using greek yogurt instead of butter and cream. Make it vegetarian by forgetting the chicken and adding a high protein pasta!
- 4 oz dry pasta (I used linguine)
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (I used avocado)
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 4 tbsp greek yogurt, plain & nonfat
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2-3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- fresh black pepper
- 1 big handful of spinach
Garnish: parmesan cheese, pine nuts (optional), basil, parsley
- Prepare salted water to cook pasta in a large pot. At boiling, add pasta and cook per package instructions. Make sure to reserve 1/2 cup pasta water after the pasta has finished cooking.
- Cook chicken breasts in 2 tbsp cooking oil over medium high heat in a deep saucepan. Place lid on and make sure chicken gets cooked through. Once finished, remove from heat and set them aside.
- Using the same pan, add milk and cornstarch. Whisk until combined over medium heat making sure the liquid mixture doesn't boil. It should begin to thicken.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, grated parmesan, reserved pasta water and greek yogurt.
- Add in garlic powder and black pepper. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Add cooked noodles, sun-dried tomatoes and handful of fresh spinach. Use tongs to fold pasta and ingredients until sauce coats everything. Continue to fold the pasta until the spinach cooks down.
- Option to cut chicken and add it back into the pasta and alfredo or serve it on top.
- Garnish with parsley, basil and more parmesan as you wish!
I haven't tried using skim milk instead of 2%, but it should be ok.
I used 0% fat greek yogurt, but 2% or higher will work.
Chickpea, soy or black bean noodles could replace regular pasta - just make sure to still reserve the pasta water!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute, cook
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: healthy chicken Alfredo, chicken Alfredo, chicken Alfredo recipe