This chicken corn chowder can be made using the instant pot, slow cooker or stovetop. It's a great end of summer meal with fresh corn, onion and peppers. Dairy free for those of you who are sensitive!
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil (EVOO or avocado works)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp flour (GF flour, white or whole wheat is fine)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups corn (off the cob or from can)
- 2-3 chicken breasts, whole
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups chicken broth
- garnish: scallions, turkey bacon crumbles and/or cojita
- Turn to sauté function and add 1 tbsp oil and chopped onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour and garlic and mix to combine. Next, add bell pepper, potatoes, corn, spices, chicken and broth. Put the lid on the instant pot and turn the valve to sealing. Push the manual button and adjust the time to cook for 12 minutes.
- Once the steam has been released and time is up, turn the valve to venting to release more steam. Remove the lid and remove chicken breasts using tongs. Reserve 1/2 cup of corn, diced pepper and set aside with the chicken.
- Using a blender (immersion blender works too) blend the remaining ingredients until smooth. Add the reserved cup of cooked corn and diced pepper back into the chowder. Shred the chicken and place back in the chowder. Garnish if you wish!
- Add all the ingredients to the crock pot and set to low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Once it's finished cooking, remove the chicken breasts using tongs, shred and set aside. Using a slotted spoon, reserve 1/2 cup of cooked corn and pepper and set aside.
- Blend the remaining ingredients until smooth. Add shredded chicken and reserved corn mixture back into soup. Garnish if you wish!
- In a large stockpot, turn heat to medium and add 1 tbsp oil and chopped onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour and garlic and mix to combine. Next, add bell pepper, potatoes, corn, spices, chicken and broth. Place a lid on the pot and cook for 20-30 minutes on medium/high heat. Remove from heat once chicken breast is cooked through until no longer pink in the middle.
- After it's finished cooking, remove chicken breast, shred and set it aside. Reserve 1/2 cup of corn, diced pepper.
- Using a blender (immersion blender works too) blend the remaining ingredients until smooth. Add the reserved cup of cooked corn and diced pepper back into the chowder. Add the shredded chicken and place back in the chowder. Garnish if you wish!
For extra creaminess: take 1/2 cup of creamy chowder and 1/2 cup cashews and blend together. Once smooth, add back into the chowder.
Chowder is good in the fridge for up to 5 days. It will thicken in the refrigerator, so thin it out with water as you wish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dinner, soup
- Method: boil, simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican, southern
Keywords: corn chowder, chicken corn chowder, dairy free corn chowder