This chipotle grilled romaine salad with shrimp is the perfect salad for summer. All of the ingredients nestle into the grooves of the grilled romaine, which makes each bite bursting with flavor.
- 2 bundles of romaine, cut lengthwise into 2 halves
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 lb raw shrimp, tails removed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup of scallions, chopped
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 cup of tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup avocado mayo
- 1–2 jarred chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- Water to thin if desired
Additional toppings: Cojita cheese, cilantro and lime
- Prepare the romaine by washing and cutting it lengthwise into two halves. Pat dry and spray with cooking oil or brush with EVOO. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium/high heat and place lettuce (cut side down) on grilling grates. Cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from grill and turn heat down to medium.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle chili powder over shrimp. If you are grilling shrimp, make sure your grill top is lightly greased or you have shrimp on skewers to prevent sticking to the grill. If you are making the shrimp on the stovetop, lightly oil your pan with EVOO and turn to medium heat. Cook shrimp until the ends start to curl and the shrimp turns orange and white.
- To make chipotle sauce, place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place grilled romaine half on a plate, top with shrimp, scallions, tomatoes, corn, avocado and cooked shrimp. Drizzle with sauce and serve.
If you want a skinny drizzle (like shown in the pictures above) for the chipotle sauce- place sauce in a zip block bag and cut a small hole in the corner. Squeeze the bag to release the sauce.
- Category: Salad, Grilling
- Method: Grill/Chop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: romaine salad recipes, grilled romaine salad, chipotle shrimp