These Spicy Shrimp Tacos are the answer to your weeknight meal. Easy, dairy free and on the dinner table in under 30 minutes.
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Scant salt and pepper
- Corn tortillas (see notes)
- 1 lb raw shrimp (deveined and tails off) cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 can of corn, drained (see notes)
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped (optional for extra spice)
- 1 package of coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 1 cup cilantro, loosely chopped
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 lime
- Place drained corn and chopped pepper (if using) in a cast iron skillet or sauté pan at high heat with 1 tbsp of oil. Cook until corn starts to look slightly darkened with char marks. Set aside.
- Combine spices in a small bowl and mix.
- Option to cut shrimp into bite sized pieces (I like this better for tacos). Place shrimp in a bowl (be sure to pat them dry if they are wet from thawing). Pour 1 tbsp oil over shrimp and add the spice mixture. Mix until each shrimp has a good amount of seasoning on it.
- Saute the shrimp over medium heat, after 2 minutes add 1/4 cup of water and stir. Cook for another minute or until the shrimp are cooked.
- Assemble the tacos with the mashed avocado at the bottom, followed by the spicy shrimp, corn, onions then slaw. Squeeze some lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- If you are using corn tortillas I would recommend heating them on the stove top in a pan lightly sprayed with oil. This will harden the tortillas so they won’t rip as easily. Alternatively, you could always double layer with 2 corn tortillas or use flour tortillas.
- If you are using frozen cooked shrimp, still heat the shrimp with the spices and add water. You won’t want to heat for long or else it will be tough.
- If you want to skip a step, you could buy a roasted can of corn from the grocery store.
Keywords: Spicy Shrimp Tacos, easy shrimp tacos, easy spicy shrimp tacos, dairy free shrimp tacos