A lighter thanksgiving dish that is cheesy, salty and garlicky all in one bite. Low carbohydrate, vegetarian and high in fiber.
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
5 cloves of garlic, sliced
1.5 cup whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
1–2 cups skim milk
1/2 tsp of black pepper
2 large heads of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
1.5 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning
- Prepare a casserole dish by using non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 425F.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat on the stove. Once butter begins to melt, add in sliced garlic, being careful not to burn the garlic. Once garlic is fragrant, begin making a roux by adding in 1 tablespoon of flour, whisking to combine with butter and garlic. Slowly add 1/4 cup milk to mixture, still whisking to combine. Continue with remaining flour and milk until a thick roux forms and no clumps remain. You may need to add more flour to thicken depending on how much milk you used.
- Once the roux if ready, turn heat down to medium and add in cauliflower. Stir to combine or until the cauliflower is well coated with the roux. Add in pepper and mix to combine.
- Pour cauliflower into prepared casserole dish and bake for 35 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- While cauliflower is cooking, toss parmesan cheese and everything bagel seasoning in a small bowl.
- When the cauliflower is tender, remove from oven and top with cheese and everything bagel seasoning mixture. Turn the oven to broil and watch carefully for 2-3 minutes until the cheese turns a deep golden color.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
I used whole wheat flour for my roux. I have not tried any other flour other than this one, but you may need to adjust flour to milk ratio if you use another flour or milk.
Keywords: Everything bagel cauliflower casserole, healthy thanksgiving casserole, cauliflower