This healthy ginger sesame chicken is easy to prepare, high in protein and great for meal prep. The sesame chicken sauce is full of flavor with a hint of sweetness and warm zest of ginger. Serve it with rice and broccoli or in a lettuce wrap.
- 4 large chicken breasts ( or 2 large Costco ones)
- 1/4 cup corn starch (arrowroot powder or tapioca flour if GF)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (use coconut aminos or liquid aminos if soy/gluten free!)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (coconut sugar can be substituted)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar (red wine or ACV can be substituted)
- 3/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, zested
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Garnish: Chopped scallions, sesame seeds, crushed peanuts
- Cut chicken in cubes and place in a bowl. Toss with the cornstarch and begin cooking in a saucepan with 1 tbsp cooking oil over medium heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, begin whisking the ingredients for the sauce together. Whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, black pepper and ginger in a small bowl, set aside.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Using the same pan the chicken was cooked in, pour in the sesame oil. Add in the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add in the sauce mixture and reduce the heat down and cook for 2 minutes continuing to stir and deglaze the pan.
- Add the chicken back into the pan. Continue to cook on low heat for 3 minutes. The sauce will begin to thicken around the chicken and the bits on the bottom of the pan will lift.
- Serve it with scallions, crushed peanuts and sesame seeds, enjoy!
If you don't have onions or garlic, you can use a 1/2 a shallot.
No fresh ginger? Sub 1/8 tsp ground ginger.
If you like it spicy, you can swap out the onion for a hot pepper or add red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Sesame Chicken, Ginger Sesame Chicken, Sesame chicken lettuce wraps, Sesame chicken recipe, Ginger sesame chicken recipe