This healthy Mac and cheese has a twist on a classic comfort food. It’s packed with iron, fiber and protein. Bonus that it can be made all in the same bowl!
- 1/2 box cavatappi pasta
- 1 can northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used skim milk, might need less depending on the flour you use)
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, packed and shredded
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard, ground
- Cracked black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Boil pasta according to package instructions. Drain, but do not rinse pasta. Set aside.
- Using the same pot, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium low heat. Do not burn. Add in 2 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp of milk. Whisk until smooth mixture. If you are using a wheat flour, you may need to add 2 more tbsp of milk.
- Using a blender, place can of northern beans inside blender and 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Blend until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon, add in 1/2 cup of bean mixture to roux in stock pot. Add in 1 cup of cheese and additional skim milk if needed. Continue to heat on medium/low until cheese melts and smooth mixture forms.
- Add in spices (garlic powder, dry mustard, pinch of salt and cracked pepper)
- Pour pasta noodles back into the stock pot and gently stir to coat.
- Garnish with additional black pepper and salt. Enjoy immediately 🙂
See frequently asked questions above for modifications.
- Category: Dinner, lunch
- Method: boil, saute
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy Mac and cheese, healthy macaroni and cheese recipe, healthy Mac and cheese recipe