This healthy tuna casserole is full of flavor and texture! It is lower in fat than other tuna casseroles and provides 20grams of protein per serving!
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (evoo or avocado)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 box pasta shells (about 8 ounces)
- 1 5 oz can tuna (albacore, solid white packed in water and drained)
- 1 cup cottage cheese, small curd (I used low fat)
- 3/4-1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, plain
- Garnish with chives, optional
- Preheat oven 350F and set aside casserole dish.
- Begin to sauté garlic, onions in cooking oil in a sauce pan. Once onion is translucent, add in sliced mushrooms.
- While the mushroom mixture is cooking. Cook pasta according to box directions and drain when finished.
- After the mushroom mixture is fully cooked. Add in the drain pasta, can of tuna and cottage cheese. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour pasta mixture into a casserole dish. Top with shredded pepper jack cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes at 350F or until cheese gets brown and bubbly.
Gluten Free: Use gluten free pasta and breadcrumbs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: entree, casserole
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American, vegetarian
Keywords: healthy tuna casserole, tuna casserole, healthy tuna casserole recipe