Healthy & hearty chili made with sweet potatoes, quinoa, black beans and smokey southwestern flavors. Can be ready in under 20 minutes, is vegan and gluten free.
- 1 tablespoon light flavor cooking oil (olive, avocado or canola oil works)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1.5 tablespoons of chili powder
- 4 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 cups of water
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 15oz cans of black beans, drained
- 1 15oz can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Garnishes: Sliced Avocado, sour cream or greek yogurt, cilantro or crushed tortilla chips
- Turn instant pot to SAUTE setting and place garlic and diced onion in the pot. Once fragrant, add in sweet potatoes, spices and salt, stirring to combine.
- Pour water into pot and add quinoa and mix so that the quinoa isn’t sitting on top of the water.
- Close the instant pot lid, press the MANUAL button and set the time for 3 minutes. The instant pot will begin to build pressure. Make sure the dial on top is turned to SEALING.
- After the pressure builds and 3 minutes are up (the instant pot will beep) you can move the dial on top to VENTING. Allow the instant pot to fully release the pressure before opening the lid.
- Once the lid is open, stir and add in the remaining ingredients.
Stove top: Same order and steps but cooking times will vary. Crockpot: Place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
This recipe will yield a more stew like chili, if you like your chili more soup like you can add more water.
- Category: soup, main course, vegan, vegetarian
- Method: instant pot, crockpot
- Cuisine: Southwestern
Keywords: Instant pot vegetarian chili, instant pot soup, vegetarian chili, vegan chili, crockpot vegetarian chili