Adaptable, easy and vegan! This mexican chickpea bake can be made for saturday morning brunch with friends or an easy weeknight dinner.
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup onion (I used yellow)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups kale, de-veined and chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp mexican seasoning packet
- 1 whole avocado
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 and prepare cast iron skillet with 1 tbsp of avocado oil.
- Sauté diced onion until tender and fragrant. Add in vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes or until kale starts to wilt.
- While vegetables are sautéing, mix chickpea flour, water, oil and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Slowly pour chickpea mixture onto vegetables in the skillet. Turn heat down to medium low and let rest for 3-5 minutes or until edges start to turn a golden color.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the middle of the bake to confirm that is it baked through.
- Turn off the oven and let it rest for ~5-10 minutes. This will help firm up the bake so that it can be cut easily.
- While chickpea bake is cooking, assemble the avocado mousse by blending the avocado, water, oil, garlic, lime and salt in a small blender.
- Once the bake is cooled, slice and top with avocado mousse and enjoy!
You do not need a cast iron skillet for this recipe, any oven proof sauté pan with a deep ridge would work too.
If you do not have avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed, vegetable or coconut oil will work as well it just might affect the flavor.
- Category: Breakfast, Main Course
- Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Mexican Chickpea Bake, Vegan Breakfast Bake