These nourishing chicken shawarma bowls are full of warm Middle Eastern flavors, vibrant vegetables and bold herbs. It can easily be made into meal prep for the week or made for dinner.
Chicken Shawarma (enough for 4 large chicken breasts)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp all spice
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika (or regular)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
Yogurt Tzatziki Sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp cucumber, minced (I used an English cucumber)
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain
Nourishing Bowl Ingredients
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 3–4 large chicken breasts (see instructions)
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 cup of chickpeas (I made mine crispy like in this recipe)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Garnish with fresh lemon slices and fresh dill weed
- To make chicken: Combine all spices in a bowl and set aside. To make the chicken, I used my instant pot. Place thawed chicken breasts inside instant pot. Rub chicken with chicken shawarma spice mixture. Drizzle 2 tbsp avocado or EVOO over chicken. Fill chamber of instant pot with 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth. Secure the lid and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Cook on manual in instant pot for 12 minutes and release steam by turning valve to venting. Remove chicken and shred in standing mixer or with two forks.
- To make Yogurt Tzatziki: Place all ingredients inside a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Assemble the nourishing chicken shawarma bowls: Start by layering cooked quinoa, then shredded chicken, cucumber, feta, red onion, tomatoes and crispy chickpeas. If you don’t have crispy chickpeas you can use regular canned chickpeas.
You can substitute the quinoa for rice, farro, wheat berries or other grain.
Also instead of doing quinoa Sean loves to put the tzatziki sauce on bread then layer on the chicken and toppings. Would be great on a pita too!
- Category: Dinner, lunch
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: chicken shawarma, chicken shawarma recipe, chicken shawarma bowls, chicken shawarma meal