This protein packed breakfast casserole is filled with savory sausage, vegetables and crispy hashbrowns. Perfect for prepping the night before for a tailgate or brunch with friends. | mealswithmaggie.com #proteinpacked #breakfastcasserole #healthybreakfastcasserole #fennel #sausage #hashbrowns #eggcasserole
- 3 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 links chicken sausage (or more depending on size of sausage)
- 1 cup egg whites
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup monetary jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups hashbrowns, shredded and thawed (I used frozen and thawed them)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Once softened, add in mushrooms and peppers.
- When vegetables are finished sautéing add to casserole dish and chop chicken sausage. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg whites, milk and whole eggs.
- Gently pour egg mixture in casserole dish. Add in fennel seed, paprika and cumin. Sprinkle monetary jack cheese and half of cheddar cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, combine shredded hashbrowns, garlic powder and other half of cheddar cheese. If you are using frozen hash browns (I did) remove from freezer, rinse with cold water (until thawed) and then ring out water.
- When the casserole is finished baking in the oven, remove foil and sprinkle on hashbrown mixture to top. Set broiler to low for 5 minutes or until hashbrowns are crispy on top.
If you use ground chicken sausage just simply sauté it before the vegetables.
Keywords: breakfast casserole, healthy breakfast casserole, high protein breakfast casserole