These pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting are incredibly soft and chewy! They are a must make for the fall season and are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I prefer dark)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- Plus extra cinnamon for dusting on top of frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4oz Neufchatel Cheese (cream cheese will also work!)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and add in pumpkin puree, vanilla, brown sugar and maple syrup. Mix to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, combine pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder and white whole wheat flour. Stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix using a spatula. The dough should be moist and difficult to form into a ball.
- Scoop a little less than 1/4 cup of the batter onto the baking sheet. Continue to do this until all the dough is scooped. This recipe yields 10-12 cookies.
- Bake at 375F for 13-15 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, in a small bowl place the neufchâtel cheese. Soften in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add in vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix until no lumps appear. Chill in refrigerator until cookies are ready.
- Once the cookies are finished baking, allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting.
- Can substitute all purpose flour or whole wheat flour for white whole wheat flour. Although I think white whole wheat will yield the best results.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: pumpkin cookies, cream cheese frosting, healthy pumpkin cookies