This stuffed spaghetti squash is made with only 5 main ingredients and is an easy dinner meal that serves four.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2–3 tbsp cooking oil or spray
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups (or 16 oz) cottage cheese, small curd and low fat
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp dried basil)
- ~ 2 cups favorite marinara sauce (I love Rao’s!)
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400F and set aside baking sheet.
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise so that it forms two halves. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Drizzle the inside of each half with cooking oil such as EVOO or avocado oil. Cooking spray will work too.
- Poke fork holes in each of the halves from the skin side. See picture above.
- Place the spaghetti squash, flesh side down on the baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- While the spaghetti squash is roasting, saute mushrooms over medium heat until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, add in cooked mushrooms, cottage cheese and basil.
- Once spaghetti squash has finished cooking, divide the cottage cheese mixture into the inside of each half.
- Pour marinara on top of cottage cheese mixture inside the squash. Then top of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cook the stuffed squash for 10 minutes at 350F then broil for ~3 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
You can test to see if the spaghetti squash is done cooking by poking the skin with a cooking utensil. If it’s soft, it has finished cooking.
- Category: Dinner, Entree, Lunch
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American Italian
Keywords: stuffed spaghetti squash, spaghetti squash recipe, healthy stuffed spaghetti squash