Vegan carbonara pasta that is packed with protein and velvety cashew cream in one bite!
- 8 oz Banza pasta
- 3/4 cup pasta water, reserved
- 3/4 cup plain cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil (I used avocado, extra virgin would be fine as well)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach (if using frozen use 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or ~ 1/2 lemon, juiced)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (( I used mesquite))
- sprinkle of cracked pepper (optional)
- sprinkle of truffle salt (optional but recommended)
- Place cashews in a bowl and let them soak overnight. Alternatively, you can pour boiling water over them in the bowl and let them rest for 30 minutes.
- Prepare boiling water for pasta. Cook until al dente or 2 minutes less than recommended cooking time.
- While the pasta is cooking, mince shallot and place in a wide saucepan over medium heat with oil. Place mushrooms in saucepan and sauté. Place spinach in saucepan, turn heat down to low and place lid to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Drain the water from the cashews and place in a blender with 1/4 cup water. Process until smooth like a cream.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of liquid.
- Pour the cashew cream over over the vegetables in the saucepan. Add in the reserved water and nutritional yeast, leave heat on low and stir to combine. The sauce should thicken, stir for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the vegetable broth, lemon juice and liquid smoke. Once incorporated, add in pasta.
- If the sauce is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of almond milk or more vegetable broth as needed.
- Garnish with truffle salt or cracked black pepper and enjoy!
I used Banza pasta in this recipe, you can use another pasta alternative, just keep in mind it will change the nutritional info for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Carbonara Pasta, Vegan pasta