Creamy chicken tortellini soup is a great weeknight dinner dish that feeds a crowd! It’s also healthier, as it’s made with cashew cream instead of heavy cream.
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes and uncooked
- 18 or 20 ounce package of cheese tortellini, uncooked
- 1.5 quarts chicken broth, low sodium (about 6 cups)
- Big handful of spinach
- 1 cup (about 3oz package) sun dried tomatoes, julienned (loosely packed)
- Garnish: cracked black pepper, parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cashews (plain, unsalted)
- 1.5 cups water (or broth)
- Soak cashews in 1.5 cups hot water or broth. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, sauté the garlic and white onion in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium/high heat.
- Once the onion is translucent (about 1-2 minutes), add in Italian seasoning and chicken. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes to brown chicken over medium heat.
- Add in one and a half quarts of chicken broth, place lid on stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in cheese tortellini and boil according to package instructions (generally its about 7-8 minutes).
- While the soup is cooking, blend cashews and water together in a high speed blender and process until smooth.
- Once the tortellini has finished cooking, turn down to medium heat and add in cashew cream. Stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Add in sun-dried tomatoes and handful of spinach, stir to combine and place lid on stock pot. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until spinach starts to wilt.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
- I would check doneness of cheese tortellini before adding cashew cream. It may need to cook/boil for another 1-2 minutes.
- If you have a nut allergy or don’t have cashews, you can use half and half but I would half the amount.
- Category: Main course, soup, entree
- Method: Boiling, sautéing
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken tortellini soup, chicken tortellini recipe, tortellini soup