These vegetable kabobs are a healthy side dish to any recipe. The onions get caramelized and begin to taste sweet, the mushrooms are so juicy and the peppers and zucchini get that perfect charred flavor.
- 1/2 red onion, peeled
- 3 zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 3 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (or portobello), whole
- 13–15 wooden skewer sticks
- 1/4 cup EVOO (avocado or grapeseed oil works too)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- If wooden skewers are not pre-soaked, soak them in water for 20-30 minutes before assembling kabobs. I did this in a cake pan that would fit the size of the skewer.
- In a large bowl, mix ingredients together for the marinade. Whisk to combine.
- Place vegetables in the large bowl with the marinade. Toss to coat. Option to let the vegetables marinade or just place them right on the skewers.
- Assemble the kabobs by placing each vegetable on the skewer. I alternated vegetables to ensure that each kabob would have all the vegetables.
- Preheat grill and watch till external thermometer reaches 375-400F.
- Place vegetable kabobs directly over heat. Close lid of the grill and let them cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, check on the kabobs and rotate/flip as necessary keeping burners on medium/high heat and thermometer showing 375-400F.
- After about 10 minutes, the vegetable kabobs should be done cooking, remove from grill and enjoy with a piece of chicken, steak, salmon or shrimp.
If using oven and not the grill, preheat to 400F and cook for 10-15 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: roast, grill
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: vegetable kabobs, vegetable skewers