This Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy, luscious and will warm your soul. It is not made with cashews, potatoes, cream or butter! Gluten free, high in protein and fiber.
2 large chicken breasts
2 heads of broccoli florets
2-3 stalks of celery, sliced
2-3 medium carrots, sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 quart (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
1 can of northern beans, drained
8 oz reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken, chicken broth and broccoli florets. Cover the pot and cook until chicken fully cooked. The chicken should be covered by chicken broth in the large pot, if not add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and allow the chicken to poach. This should take about 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Test a piece of chicken by removing it and make sure there is no pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove pot from heat. Using tongs, pull out the chicken breasts and set aside. In a separate bowl, reserve the broccoli florets.
- Place the remaining vegetable and broth mixture in a blender and add in drained northern beans. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the large pot and add in the cheddar and parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and the soup thickens.
- Shred the chicken and place it back in the large pot with the reserved broccoli florets.
- Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and sourdough bread.
Instant Pot: Saute EVOO, onions, celery and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients ( except beans and cheese!) into the instant pot chamber. Set on manual for 13 minutes then vent release. Follow the remaining steps as listed in the recipe.
Vegetarian: Skip the chicken and try adding another can of northern beans to supplement some additional protein.
Keywords: Healthy Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup