This Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy, luscious and will warm your soul. It is not made with cashews, potatoes, cream or butter! High in protein and fiber, you won’t regret making it.
It took a lot of self-control to not want to eat my way through taking these pictures. The fragment smell of the melted cheese after I poured it into the pot smelled heavenly. Immediately after I finished shooting these photos, I took a big fat chunk of sourdough and slopped this healthier chicken broccoli cheddar soup straight into ma mouth. So. Freaking. Good.
I know ‘soup season’ is probably coming to a close soon, but I had to sneak in one more soup for good measure. So many of you want instant pot recipes, I had to! That being said, this recipe is compatible in the instant pot and stovetop. To see which method took longer, I tested each one at the same time, stove top versus the instant pot. The instant pot took longer and produced softer broccoli. Also, it was a tad bit more watery versus the stove top because the vegetables cooked more. But make this healthier chicken broccoli soup whichever way you prefer, it is linked in the notes below.
Ingredients in Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I didn’t want to use butter, cream, potatoes or cashews in this healthy chicken broccoli cheddar soup because well, I feel like everyone would expect that. Instead, I used a can of northern beans to thicken it up a bit. Not to mention adding in fiber and iron!
Want to make this soup vegetarian? Just leave out the chicken. The beans and cheese do have a lot of protein themselves. I would maybe add in another can of beans for good measure. I just always like a little bit of extraaaa protein in my life.
I used reduced-fat sharp cheddar for the cheddar component in this soup. I also used a quarter cup of grated parmesan cheese. The king of cheeses. It gives the soup a nice salty note.
You will want a blender or immersion blender for this recipe. I tried blending soups in a food processor before and it spatters hot liquid everywhere. Ouch.
This chicken broccoli cheddar soup makes about 5 servings (~1.5 cups each). I served it with fresh sourdough from a local bakery and it was de-lish.Print
This Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy, luscious and will warm your soul. It is not made with cashews, potatoes, cream or butter! Gluten free, high in protein and fiber.
2 large chicken breasts
2 heads of broccoli florets
2-3 stalks of celery, sliced
2-3 medium carrots, sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 quart (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
1 can of northern beans, drained
8 oz reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken, chicken broth and broccoli florets. Cover the pot and cook until chicken fully cooked. The chicken should be covered by chicken broth in the large pot, if not add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and allow the chicken to poach. This should take about 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Test a piece of chicken by removing it and make sure there is no pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove pot from heat. Using tongs, pull out the chicken breasts and set aside. In a separate bowl, reserve the broccoli florets.
- Place the remaining vegetable and broth mixture in a blender and add in drained northern beans. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the large pot and add in the cheddar and parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and the soup thickens.
- Shred the chicken and place it back in the large pot with the reserved broccoli florets.
- Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and sourdough bread.
Instant Pot: Saute EVOO, onions, celery and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients ( except beans and cheese!) into the instant pot chamber. Set on manual for 13 minutes then vent release. Follow the remaining steps as listed in the recipe.
Vegetarian: Skip the chicken and try adding another can of northern beans to supplement some additional protein.
Keywords: Healthy Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Looking for more cozy recipes? Check these out…