This Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy, luscious and will warm your soul. It's high in protein and fiber and you won't regret making it.
It took a lot of self-control to not want to eat my way through taking these pictures. Immediately after I finished shooting these photos, I took a big fat chunk of sourdough and slopped this healthier chicken broccoli cheddar soup straight into my mouth. So good.
Why I Love This Recipe
I love this recipe because it's filling and comforting all in one bowl. I incorporated chicken into it because I wanted a little extra protein to keep me full.
I also love that this recipe can be made in the instant pot or on the stovetop! Both take about the same time to prep/make.
Ingredients in Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I didn't want to use butter, cream, potatoes or cashews in this healthy chicken broccoli cheddar soup because well, I feel like everyone would expect that.
Instead, I used a can of northern beans to thicken it up a bit. It also adds a punch of fiber and iron to the dish!
Feel free to add more broccoli. I got 1 large head of broccoli but I know they can be a bit small sometimes.
Tips and FAQs
As I stated above, this broccoli cheddar soup can be made in the instant pot and instruction for that recipe are found in the notes section under the directions.
I use my standing kitchenAid mixer and use the paddle attachment. If you don't have one you can just use two forks and pull the chicken breasts apart on a plate.
If you don't have a blender you can use a handheld immersion blender but it might take you longer. Do not use a food processor because the liquid will leak out the sides!
Yes! There is a good amount of protein in the soup without the chicken. If you wanted more, you could always add 2 cans of northern beans and add more broth to thin as needed.
It makes about 5 servings (1.5 cups each)
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Healthy Chicken Corn Chowder
- Lightened Up Lobster Bisque
This Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy, luscious and will warm your soul. It's not made with potatoes, cream or butter!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2-3 medium carrots, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 heads of broccoli florets
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 quart (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Garnish: Sourdough (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken, chicken broth and broccoli florets. Cover the pot and cook until chicken fully cooked. The chicken should be covered by chicken broth in the large pot, if not add ½ cup water. Bring to a boil and allow the chicken to poach. This should take about 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Test a piece of chicken by removing it and make sure there is no pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove pot from heat. Using tongs, pull out the chicken breasts and set aside. In a separate bowl, reserve the broccoli florets.
- In a blender, place the can of drained northern beans and pour the vegetable and broth mixture into the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended soup back into the large pot and add in the cheddar and parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and the soup thickens.
- Shred the chicken and place it back in the large pot with the reserved broccoli florets.
- Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and sourdough bread.
Instant Pot: Saute EVOO, onions, celery and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients ( except beans and cheese!) into the instant pot chamber. Set on manual for 13 minutes then vent release. Follow the remaining steps as listed in the recipe.
Vegetarian: Skip the chicken and try adding another can of northern beans to supplement some additional protein.
If you don't have a blender, you can use an immersion blender.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Dinner, Soup
- Method: boiling, sautéing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthy Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Healthier Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup, chicken broccoli cheddar soup