Simple pesto stuffed mushrooms – a quick and easy holiday appetizer that can be ready in under 30 minutes. If you like Italian flavors, these simple pesto stuffed mushrooms are the perfect party dish! | Mealswithmaggie.com
16 ounces of baby portobello mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 shallot, diced (about 2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup pesto
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil + more for brushing mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare a lined baking sheet or spray with oil and set aside.
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove stems. Dice mushroom stems and sauté with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat to remove any moisture.
- Once the mushrooms stems have released moisture (they will look smaller), add in garlic and shallot being careful not to burn over medium high heat.
- When garlic and shallot are fragrant, add in breadcrumbs and turn heat down to low. Toast breadcrumb and mushroom stem mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, pesto and salt. Add in breadcrumb mixture and mix to combine.
- Brush or spray mushrooms with olive oil or cooking oil on baking sheet. Fill with pesto breadcrumb mixture until each mushroom is filled.
- Bake mushrooms at 400F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before eating.
I used whole wheat breadcrumbs and it turned out great!
This recipe yields about 21 mushrooms, but you should have some filling left over.
Option to garnish with parsley or parmesan!