Simple pesto stuffed mushrooms – a quick and easy holiday appetizer that can be ready in under 30 minutes. If you like Italian flavors, these pesto stuffed mushrooms are the perfect party dish!
Holiday season is in full swing! I’ve been busying making these dark chocolate peppermint truffles and testing out a gingerbread granola recipe. If you are in the holiday mood, check out these no bake sugar cookie bites. I originally made them for valentines day but they can be a Christmas dessert too! It’s been pretty busy around here as we had a wedding this past weekend and still have one more before the end of the year. Speaking of weddings, one of my favorite hors d’oeuvres is stuffed mushrooms! I always take at least 2-3!
Anyways, I wanted to post this savory simple pesto stuffed mushroom recipe because it’s just that, SIMPLE. Especially this time of year, I think we all need some simplicity in our lives. These stuffed mushrooms can come together in under 30 minutes and are perfect for taking to that holiday party you have to bring a dish to.
The Ingredients for Stuffed Mushrooms
- Portobello mushrooms (I used baby bella)
- Part-skim ricotta
- Extra virgin olive oil
I used baby portobello mushrooms and two 8 oz packages averaged me about 21 mushrooms. FYI, they say never to run your mushrooms under water to clean them. All you have to do is wipe them with a damp paper towel. Side note, I don’t really follow this rule though! It’s so much easier to just wash them with water !
I always thought pesto stuffed mushrooms would be hard to prepare/make, but these are so simple! I used my favorite brand of pesto, Classico. Make sure you spray or brush the mushrooms with a little olive oil before you fill them. It helps cook the mushroom and not dry it out.
These simple pesto stuffed mushrooms are too easy not to make! Ready in under 30 minutes and under 10 ingredients.Print
Simple pesto stuffed mushrooms – a quick and easy holiday appetizer that can be ready in under 30 minutes. If you like Italian flavors, these simple pesto stuffed mushrooms are the perfect party dish! | Mealswithmaggie.com
16 ounces of baby portobello mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 shallot, diced (about 2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup pesto
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil + more for brushing mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare a lined baking sheet or spray with oil and set aside.
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove stems. Dice mushroom stems and sauté with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat to remove any moisture.
- Once the mushrooms stems have released moisture (they will look smaller), add in garlic and shallot being careful not to burn over medium high heat.
- When garlic and shallot are fragrant, add in breadcrumbs and turn heat down to low. Toast breadcrumb and mushroom stem mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, pesto and salt. Add in breadcrumb mixture and mix to combine.
- Brush or spray mushrooms with olive oil or cooking oil on baking sheet. Fill with pesto breadcrumb mixture until each mushroom is filled.
- Bake mushrooms at 400F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before eating.
I used whole wheat breadcrumbs and it turned out great!
This recipe yields about 21 mushrooms, but you should have some filling left over.
Option to garnish with parsley or parmesan!