This avocado summer lasagna embodies all the flavors of summer; from lime to basil with fresh corn and shredded zucchini. This lasagna gives a lightened up feel to a comfort classic.
Chicken, zucchini and avocado?! Cray-Z.
This Avocado Summer Lasagna is the perfect balance between the warm comfort foods of winter and the light and healthy foods of summer.
It’s nearing the end of summer and you’ve got all the watermelon, zucchini, corn and tomatoes on hand- perfect for this dish. You can feed the whole family with this lasagna.
Ingredients in Avocado Summer Lasagna
- Shredded Chicken – I would recommend making before, you can always use canned chicken if your up for it!
- Grated zucchini – make sure to squeeze most of the water out before putting in the dish.
- Fresh corn – straight off the cob is best, but you can used canned if you want to save on some leg work.
- Avocado CREAM – Ugh what a dream this sauce is. Avocados, lime, salt and garlic. Don’t think there could be a better combo
- Marinara sauce – Any 24 ounce jar you fancy, I like my marinara a bit chunkier.
- No boil lasagna pasta noodles – these are such a time saver! They have them at (most) Meijers and Trader Joe’s. If you cannot find no boil lasagna noodles then just pre-cook regular.
- Fresh basil – that’s right! Right in between each layer you add fresh basil leaves.
Despite its unconventional roots, this lasagna will amaze you with the harmony of flavors. The avocado cream gives a creamy texture without being overpowering.The zucchini corn mixture give you all the feels of summer. Not to mention the fresh basil in between the layers.
I’ve officially converted this as my new normal lasagna and I’m not going back anytime soon.Print
This Avocado Summer Lasagna is the perfect balance between the warm comfort foods of winter and the light and healthy foods of summer! One of my favorites!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jar favorite marinara sauce (24oz)
- 2 cups chicken breast, shredded
- 1–2 cups corn
- 2 small zucchinis, grated (squeezed to remove excess water)
- 1 package oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add zucchini and corn.
- While zucchini mixture is cooking, combine ingredients for avocado layer in a small blender. Blend until consistency is creamy and set aside.
- In a casserole dish start to assemble the lasagna. Add first layer of marinara sauce ( ~1/2 cup). Top with no-boil lasagna pasta (I use 3-4 strips for a 9×13 pan). Then layer 1/3 of your avocado cream, 1/3 of chicken and 1/3 of your zucchini mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese and some shredded basil.
- Then do another layer of lasagna noodles, avocado, chicken, zucchini, mozzarella and basil. Top with remaining lasagna noodles and remaining mozzarella. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil and add grated parmesan cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
You can use regular lasagna noodles here, you just have to pre-cook them before baking ☺ I have not tried making this vegetarian. If you did you could replace the chicken with black beans or just leave them out. Let me know how this turns out for you!
Keywords: Avocado Summer lasagna
[expand title=”Nutritional Info”]
This recipe is adapted from ImmaEatThat, she is one of my favorite food bloggers and you should check out her recipes!