Everything bagel Cauliflower Casserole- a healthier Thanksgiving dish that is cheesy, salty and garlicky all in one bite. Low carbohydrate, vegetarian and high in fiber.
Now, I know that it is still October but Friendsgivings and Thanksgiving are right around the corner. I made a version of this dish for last Thanksgiving and it was the first thing gone.
I mean, who doesn’t love everything bagel seasoning, cheese and cauliflower? Bake it in a casserole and make that crispy cheese on top and you’ve got a party in your mouth. If you haven't noticed, I've got a thing for a crunchy top to casseroles. I love the different level of texture it brings to the dish!
This everything bagel cauliflower casserole is the healthier thanksgiving dish of MY DREAMS. It is topped with parmesan cheese and everything bagel seasoning that creates a salty, cheesy and crispy layer to top the casserole. It gets better underneath with a creamy slurry of roux lathered on the pieces of cauliflower that are baked until soft.
I’m not kidding when I tell you that I could eat the whole thing in one sitting.
The trend of everything bagel seasoning, thanks to Trader Joe’s, is a wonderful thing. If you don’t live around a Trader Joe’s you can make your own everything bagel seasoning.
Essentially, everything bagel seasoning is a blend of :
- Minced dried garlic
- Poppy seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Minced Dried onion
- Flaked salt
I also found it here, and I believe they have it at Walmart.
Hope you guys enjoy this everything bagel cauliflower casserole as much as I do!Print
Everything Bagel Cauliflower Casserole
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
A lighter thanksgiving dish that is cheesy, salty and garlicky all in one bite. Low carbohydrate, vegetarian and high in fiber.
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- ½ cup whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1-2 cups skim milk
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- 2 large heads of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 1.5 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning
- Prepare a casserole dish by using non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 425F.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat on the stove. Once butter begins to melt, add in sliced garlic, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Once garlic is fragrant, begin making a roux by adding in 1 tablespoon of flour, whisking to combine with butter and garlic.
- Slowly add ¼ cup milk to mixture, still whisking to combine. Continue with remaining flour and milk until a thick roux forms and no clumps remain. You may need to add more flour to thicken depending on how much milk you used.
- Once the roux if ready, turn heat down to medium and add in cauliflower. Stir to combine or until the cauliflower is well coated with the roux. Add in pepper and mix to combine.
- Pour cauliflower into prepared casserole dish and bake for 35 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- While cauliflower is cooking, toss parmesan cheese and everything bagel seasoning in a small bowl.
- When the cauliflower is tender, remove from oven and top with cheese and everything bagel seasoning mixture. Turn the oven to broil and watch carefully for 2-3 minutes until the cheese turns a deep golden color.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
I used whole wheat flour for my roux. I have not tried any other flour other than this one, but you may need to adjust flour to milk ratio if you use another flour or milk.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Thanksgiving, side dishes, vegetarian
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Everything bagel cauliflower casserole, healthy thanksgiving casserole, cauliflower
I am a full time rv’er. I cooked the cauliflower in the instant pot and made the roux as described. Not broiler. But this was quick and delicious. I will definitely try it at thanksgiving when I get back to an iven
Thanks so much!
I made this for Easter and everyone was raving about it! So delish! I’ll be making this again!! Thank you!!
Thank you so much!
Hi I am vegan, but super interested in trying this, What plant based milk do you think would be the best?
Hey Regan! Any unflavored unsweetened plant based milk would work 🙂
I used cassava flour (it’s gluten free), and almond milk to make the roux. It came together beautifully, and coated the cauliflower well. This was a very easy dish to make, and was so satisfying to eat.
could you make ahead and reheat? I'm going to be fighting for oven space.
I would wait to add the cheese on top ! So don’t broil until you are ready to serve!
This looks so good! Can you make other kinds of cauliflower casserole?
I want to use this as one of my make ahead meals.
Do you think I could make it
Than freeze it?
Hey Lisa! I don't think it would work for a freezer meal! Sorry!
You could do it without the sauce part. When reheating just mix it while the dish is baking.
Making with 1/4 c coconut flour and heavy cream to make keto friendly!
Great! Thank you for the comment/tip!
This was the first recipe that I made from Meals with Maggie and I got to say, it was SO GOOD! I am not the greatest cook, but this was very easy to follow and so delicious. I was supposed to make it for a dinner party tomorrow, but I am not sure how much will actually make it 😉
Thank you Jenny ! It’s so hard to stop eating it ! I don’t blame you!
I made the cauliflower casserole over the weekend and everyone loved it! I used Canadian Steak Seasoning because I didn't have the bagel seasoning. It was very good and I will make it again!
Thank you and what a great idea with the steak seasoning !