I love eggs and these Mediterranean egg bites are the perfect food to start off your day. With under 100 calories and 7 grams of protein, these bites are a nutrient powerhouse and will keep you feeling full until lunch.
Eggs one of the highest biologically available protein sources available, affordable and are easy to prepare multiple ways.
It was once thought that eggs are a culprit to having high cholesterol levels. However, recent research has indicated that saturated and trans fats ( think high fat animal meats and potato chips) are bigger contributors to cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Other recent studies have shown that eating 1 egg daily led to a 12% reduced risk of a stroke. Further research shows that eating 1 to 3 eggs a day improves your HDL ( good cholesterol) levels and improves your lipid profile!
Nutrition aside, these egg cups are so tasty. The flavor profiles from the dill, feta, sundried tomatoes and vegetables impart that fresh Mediterranean flavor that we all love.
They are super easy and quick to make and prepare for brunch, snacks, brinner- really any meal! The prep time for this recipe is minimal, you can easily cut up the vegetables and create the egg mixture in under 10 minutes. Then, pop them in the oven and voila!
These Mediterranean egg bites are the perfect food to start off your day. With under 100 calories and 7 grams of protein, these bites are a nutrient powerhouse and will keep you feeling full until lunch.
- 6 whole eggs
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, diced
- 2 oz feta (I used reduced-fat)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dill
- ¼ tsp lemon pepper ( optional)
- salt & pepper as desired
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Crack 6 whole eggs + 6 additional egg whites into a large bowl. Add in milk and whisk to combine. Add in vegetables, feta and seasonings. Stir until well incorporated.
- Prepare your muffin tins by spraying them with a non-stick spray such as avocado oil, canola oil or olive oil.
- Fill each muffin about ¾ the way full. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Stick a toothpick in one muffin tin to make sure it pulls out without residue. If not, keep in oven for another 2 minutes until the eggs have baked through.
- Cool on a cooling rack before storing them in refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean egg bites, breakfast egg bites, breakfast egg cups