This apple cider chicken marinade is the perfect way to use up the last bit of your apple cider. It has all the flavors of fall with cinnamon, apple, sage and rosemary. It gives the chicken a savory yet sweet flavor, perfect for this time of year.
It's almost the end of September, if you haven't had apple or pumpkin flavored anything yet, you need to get on board. Go to the apple orchard this weekend (this link allows you to see the closest orchard near you) and buy yourself a fresh gallon of cider. Once you're done dunking donuts in it, use the last cup for this apple cider chicken marinade. I promise, you won't be disappointed.
What's not to love? All the flavors of this harvest season; sage, rosemary, apples, cinnamon. Gah, its just too good. I really want to re-invent this marinade into something else for the blog too. Stay tuned for a harvest grain bowl next week with some of these flavors.
How to make apple cider marinade
The ingredients are so simple, it feeds about 4 people by marinating 2 large chicken breasts. To really amplify the flavor, you can stab the chicken with a fork prior to marinating so the flavors really absorb.
- Avocado oil/ EVOO: By now you guys know I pretty much only use these two cooking oils. It doesn't matter much what you do here. I used avocado oil because it imparts less flavor and I didn't want the olive oil to overpower it. If olive oil is all you have, that's okay too.
- Apple Cider: However you want to acquire this one. You can find it at most grocery stores this time of year or go to your local apple orchard and find some there. SOO GOOD WITH FRESH DONUTS. ahh, the nostalgia.
- Garlic: Because you always need some garlic
- Dijon & Lemon: To amplify a acid and tangy flavor
- Cinnamon: For good measure
- Rosemary and Sage: Because it's fall, y'all!
How long do I need to marinate the chicken for?
You can marinate it for 1 hour or up to 24 hours. I haven't tested it with only doing a 30 minute marinade. If you do, be sure to let me know in the comment section how it turned out!
What to serve apple cider chicken with?
This apple cider chicken could pretty much go with any roasted vegetable. Pair it with a whole grain and you got yourself a balanced meal.Print
Apple Cider Chicken Marinade
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Apple Cider Chicken Marinade is the perfect way to use up your leftover apple cider. It has the flavors of fall with cinnamon, sage, rosemary and apple. This marinade gives chicken a savory yet sweet flavor.
- ¼ cup avocado oil or EVOO
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ tbsp rosemary, chopped
- ½ tbsp sage, chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in a zip lock bag or bowl. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade for later basting. Pour the remaining marinade overtop. If using bowl, cover with wrap.
- Let the chicken marinade in the refridgerator for up to 24 hours. You can marinate it for a shorter time if you want.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the rest.
- Cook the chicken on the stovetop for 7-8 minutes on each side depending on thickness of the chicken. If grilling, place the chicken on medium direct heat and cook for 5 minutes on one side, flip and cook for another 10. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 or no longer pink.
- After cooking, baste the chicken with the reserved remaining ¼ cup of marinade.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Lunch, Chicken
- Method: Marinate, saute
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cider chicken, apple cider chicken marinade, chicken marinade, apple cider marinade, apple cider recipes
Leave a Reply