Summer is finally here AND IM HERE FOR IT.
It reached 90 degrees here in Michigan last week and all I wanted was a crunchy filling salad that balanced out all the BBQ’s, fudgesicles and weddings we’ve been going to. I’ve been making these Don’t get me wrong I love a good party, but my body was craving some greens.
This strawberry avocado summer salad truly speaks to my heart. The sweet strawberries, creamy avocado, and savory honey basil vinaigrette create a harmony of flavors that won’t allow you to put your fork down. I know this salad will be a repeat all summer long.
I typically eat salads mostly for my lunches in the summer and easiest way for me to transport them to work is in mason jars! The jars are a quick and easy hack for meal prep and can store in my work refrigerator without taking up much room.
Here’s what this Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad is all about….
- Romaine! I love a good crunch, especially in the summer it can really hold up well against other ingredients.
- Strawberries– on sale! Need I say more? Sweet, delicious and oh so summery.
- Avocado– creamy & dreamy, per usual. Plus, it coats the other ingredients so well.
- Chopped almonds– really any nut will do, whatever you fancy.
- Gorgonzola– I like a little for the pungent flavor, you could sub feta here too or omit all together if cheese isn’t your thang.
- Cucumber and red onion– veggies on veggies.
- Chicken– getting that protein in!
- Honey basil vinaigrette– if you take anything away from this recipe, let it be this vinaigrette!
If this salad doesn’t scream SUMMER – COME AT ME. I don’t know what does.Print
Strawberry avocado summer salad with chicken- featuring a crunchy romaine, cucumber, red onion, chopped nuts and pungent cheese then tossed in honey basil vinaigrette makes for the ultimate summer salad combo that will leave you feeling satisfied | mealswithmaggie.com
- 4 large chicken breasts, diced
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 whole cucumber, diced
- 1 whole avocado, sliced
- 3 oz gorgonzola or feta cheese
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped or sliced
Honey Basil Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients for the honey basil vinaigrette in a separate bowl and add salt/pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, pour vinaigrette over salad and enjoy!
To make mason jar salads:
- Place dressing in bottom of mason jar then start stacking:
- red onions
- chopped nuts
- Viola !
- Category: Main Course, Salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry avocado summer salad