This comforting brownie bowl, aka edible brownie batter bowl, is made with natural ingredients like oat flour, banana and unsweetened cocoa. You have the option to bake it so the outsides are a little crunchy with a gooey center.
So how are we doing? Still in quarantine, yep. Quarantine is much better with baked goods. Sean and I are going through ice cream like it's our job (I partially blame the baby on this). What's your go-to comfort food? Mine pretty much changes daily, but there isn't much better than a warm gooey brownie bowl with pieces of walnuts. I am such a sucker for walnuts.
I like to think this brownie bowl is healthier for you. It's made with limited added sugar, oat flour and has about 10 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber per serving.
How to Make a Brownie Bowl
You can make this brownie bowl essentially edible brownie batter if you want or you can bake it for a short time in the oven to get a gooey middle with a little outside crunchy crust. The latter is my favorite, but the edible brownie batter is great too!
- I used a corningware bowl and mixed all ingredients in that so that it was in just one bowl. You can mix it in a separate bowl and then pour it into a small bowl to bake if you want.
- Add in the wet ingredients first. Mash the banana, mix in the almond milk, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix it up.
- Next, add in the dry ingredients: Oat flour (see below), cocoa powder, crushed walnuts (optional) and baking powder.
- Top it with a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
How to make oat flour from oatmeal
I discussed how to do this in my flourless banana oatmeal muffins recipe, but basically all you do is use a blender or food processor to ground up the oats into a fine texture, like flour.
Anything goes with this brownie bowl recipe! I topped mine with chocolate chips, vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of peanut butter 😂. Other toppings could include:
- Walnuts, pecans, crushed peanuts
- Whipped cream
- Peanut Butter chips
- Peppermint chips
If you wanted to experiment putting protein powder in it, go for it! I wouldn't recommend a whey protein powder though just because it tends to get hard when baked! Let me know how it goes!
- Peanut Butter Blondies
- Marbled Peanut Butter and Chocolate Brownies
- Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Feel free to leave a star rating/review! It helps my business get recognized in this big internet world!
Don't forget to PIN IT for later 🙂Print
This comforting brownie bowl, aka edible brownie batter bowl, is made with natural ingredients like oat flour, banana and unsweetened cocoa.
- 1 ripened banana
- ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup oat flour (use gluten free oats as necessary)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray an oven safe small bowl or corningware dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl or corningware bowl, mash the banana using the back of a fork.
- Add in vanilla extract, almond milk and brown sugar. Mix to combine.
- Add in baking powder, cocoa powder and oat flour. Stir until incorporated.
- Mix in walnuts and top with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes. Center should be gooey. Top with ice cream and drizzled peanut butter.
See above notes on how to make oat flour from oats.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brownie bowl, brownie bowl for two, edible brownie batter, edible brownie batter bowl