These buffalo chicken wontons with homemade yogurt blue cheese dip are so perfect for tailgating! By being baked in the oven with minimal ingredients, these are a great healthy alternative! They make for a perfect wonton appetizer for guests to grab, dip and go.
Hey Hey Hey friends! Happy Friday! I am in a great mood because I’m eating these buffalo chicken wontons and they’re getting me so excited for football season! Sean and I ordered some new MSU gear last night and our first game is already next week!
Whenever I think of tailgating food I always go for a spinach artichoke dip or some sort of buffalo flavored dish. Hence my love for this buffalo quinoa chicken salad, which all of you have been loving lately!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken
The easiest and healthier way to make buffalo chicken is to make it using chicken breasts. One of the benefits to using an instant pot, crock pot or pressure cooker is that you can put frozen meats in it and it will still cook well (even though you will have to cook it for longer). I normally place thawed chicken breasts into a crockpot with 1/4 cup of water and cook on manual mode for 12 minutes. I buy my chicken breasts at Costco.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you could also place the chicken in a crockpot on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Some people also poach chicken and baking it is commonly done too.
Once it’s finished cooking, shred the chicken using a kitchen aid mixer or a fork and knife. Pour 1/2 cup of Red Hot or buffalo sauce over chicken and toss to coat.
I am trying to produce more videos for you guys, so let me know if you like them!
How to Make a Buffalo Chicken Wonton Wrap
Below has a couple pictures of how I rolled the wontons. The most important tip I have is to not overload them! The wontons will tear if you try and stuff too much in them. Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the buffalo chicken in the wonton. Add in the slaw mixture. Additionally, you could add blue cheese now or just omit and save the blue cheese for the homemade dip.
Make sure to wet the edges of the wonton so that it will stick to itself!
Ingredients in Buffalo Chicken Wontons
The recipe could not be more simple.
- Buffalo Sauce
- Coleslaw mixture
That’s it! A super easy wonton appetizer recipe.
Homemade Yogurt Blue Cheese Dip
- Plain 0% fat greek yogurt
- Blue cheese crumbles (buy local if possible)
Really guys, I tried to make this recipe super simple so that we can all enjoy it on our gamedays this year.
I truly love this recipe because the blue cheese just balances out the spiciness of the buffalo chicken. It’s so filling without being heavy or greasy! Let me see pictures if you guys make this buffalo chicken wonton recipe with homemade yogurt blue cheese dip!Print
These buffalo chicken wontons with homemade yogurt blue cheese dip are perfect for tailgate season. By being baked in the oven with minimal ingredients, these are a great healthy alternative.
- 4 large chicken breasts, fully cooked and shredded (about 3–4 cups)
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (I use Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 package of wonton wrappers (I usually use a little over 1/2 the package)
- 1/2 bag of coleslaw mix (cabbage, carrots – found near the bagged lettuce)
- 1/4 cup water
- Cooking spray
Yogurt Blue Cheese Dip
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup 0% fat plain greek yogurt
- 3–4 green onion sprigs, diced
- 1–3 tbsp of skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare a baking sheet with wire cooking rack on top. If you don’t have a wire cooking rack, just coat the baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken and buffalo sauce. Toss to coat.
- Place one wonton on a flat surface so that it looks like a diamond in front of you or a corner is facing your body. Place 2-3 tbsp of buffalo chicken and 1-2 tbsp of coleslaw mixture.
- Using a finger, dip it into the water and gently dampen the outside perimeter of the wonton. Do not dampen the corner that the buffalo chicken is near. See diagram or video above.
- Gently tuck the corner nearest to you over the chicken and coleslaw and start to roll. As you roll fold the right and then left corners in.
- Repeat until no more chicken remains. Place on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray on both sides. Bake it in the oven at 375F for 15 minutes. Flip them over and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until edges turn golden brown and crispy.
- While the buffalo chicken wontons are baking, make the yogurt blue cheese sauce in a small bowl by adding the blue cheese crumbles, yogurt, and 2 tbsp of diced green onions together. Thin the dip out with 1-3 tbsp of skim milk to achieve desired consistency. Top the sauce with additional blue cheese crumbles and green onions!
You can find the coleslaw mixture next to the bagged lettuce in the grocery store.
If you’ve never bought local blue cheese or fresh blue cheese it’s way better than commercially processed!
If you like it extra cheesy, you could add blue cheese crumbles into the wonton before baking.
Keywords: buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken wontons, appetizer wonton recipes, blue cheese yogurt dip