This chicken pasta bake is so easy and makes about 8-10 servings! It’s a cozy casserole that is high in protein and fiber!
Here we are cruising right on through January. Thank goodness, is all I have to say. January is probably one of my least favorite months. Generally because we get a huge snow storm (or 3), but knock on wood, it’s 45 and rainy here right now.
I feel like I always talk about the weather, do I? Not a ton of people know this, but I’m pretty obsessed with weather. My second calling in life is to be a meteorologist, I swear.
Anyways, back to this easy chicken pasta bake. I wanted to bring you guys a cozy casserole that will keep you fed for days and warm you up.
How to Make a Pasta Bake
- Boil pasta and cook until it is almost done (about 2 minutes less than what it says). I used half a box of penne in this recipe, but any pasta would work!
- Sauté mushrooms, zucchini and garlic in a pan. Be sure to drain out excess water from the vegetables before dumping them into the casserole dish.
- In the same saute pan, place thinned out chicken breasts and 1 1/2 cups of pasta sauce. I love Rao’s sauce or Prego Farmers Market is nice too! Cook with lid on pan until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pan, shred it and place it back into the pan.
- Place chicken and remaining pasta sauce from the jar into the casserole dish with the other vegetables.
- Drain the pasta and place in the casserole dish. Stir the ingredients in the casserole dish. Top with cheese and bake in the oven.
This casserole has got it all: fiber, protein, complex carbohydrates and a serving of dairy.
Don’t forget to ‘Pin it’ for later.Print
This chicken pasta bake is so easy and makes about 8 servings! This chicken pasta bake is a cozy casserole that is great for those colder winter nights.
- 6 ounces whole wheat pasta (I used penne)
- 2 zucchini, quartered
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 16 ounce jar of pasta sauce
- 2 large chicken breasts (I buy from Costco)
- 1.5 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Garnish: Basil
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Boil pasta and cook until al dente (about 2 minutes less than what the box says)
- Saute zucchini and garlic in 2 tbsp EVOO. Add in the mushrooms once the zucchini starts to cook down. You want the zucchini to be cooked, but not mushy. Drain any excess water from the saute pan and place zucchini and mushrooms in a large casserole dish. Set aside.
- In the same saute pan, place the chicken breasts and about 1.5 cups of the jarred pasta sauce. Cook with a lid for about 5-10 minutes depending on thickness of chicken breast. Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer to the casserole dish with the vegetables. Pour the remaining jarred pasta sauce over top and stir until everything is mixed.
- Top with a cup and a half of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes covered with a lid or aluminum foil.
- After time is up, remove foil or lid. Top with parmesan cheese and broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Garnish with fresh basil!
- Category: Dinner, lunch
- Method: Bake, saute
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy chicken pasta bake, pasta bake, chicken bake, chicken pasta casserole, healthy chicken casserole, pasta bake recipe