These funfetti cupcakes are homemade, healthier for you and have a super simple glaze on top! This funfetti cupcake recipe is made with greek yogurt, but can be modified to be vegan!
Hey, everyone! I originally was going to post this funfetti cupcake recipe in April, but since quarantine has set in and everyone needs a little bit more happiness in their life, I decided to just post it this week. I can honestly say I haven’t used my KitchenAid standing mixer more than I have this past week. 😂 I don’t know if it’s the pregnancy or just the fact that I’m bored at home and baking sounds like the right idea.
Sean absolutely loves funfetti cake. It isn’t his birthday or anything, but funfetti cupcakes are just pretty to look at and make me happy. Plus, I feel like SO many people have birthdays in March/April and have to celebrate at home. No worries, whip up a batch of these homemade funfetti cupcakes and don’t feel guilty about it because they are made with good ingredients like greek yogurt, almond milk and coconut sugar. It’s a win-win situation.
- Flour: To begin, I know a lot of us can’t get to a grocery store right now, so I’ve included some substitutions for you in case you don’t have regular white flour on hand. The recipe calls for regular, white flour. Whole wheat flour can also be substituted (see recipe card), but I want to let you know that the cupcakes will turn out darker than the pictures due to the darker nature of the whole wheat flour. I have not tested these with coconut flour or almond flour. These flours are more absorbent than the former, so make sure you google or do your research about the conversions.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is what I used in this funfetti cupcake recipe. I love that it’s not too sweet and studies have shown it doesn’t spike your blood sugar as much as white sugar typically does. If you wanted to use regular white sugar, just use a 1:1 conversion.
- Coconut oil: You can substitute vegetable oil, canola oil or avocado oil in place of coconut oil.
- Greek Yogurt: I used a plain nonfat greek yogurt in this recipe and they turned out great. If you are dairy free, you can use a coconut milk yogurt alternative in place of the greek yogurt.
- Eggs: I have tried this funfetti recipe with flax eggs and the flax eggs do make the cupcakes look more brown and they turn out less sweet. The texture is still great though!
- Sprinkles: This is an important note – You cannot use the circle ball looking sprinkles, also called nonpareils. The color will leak out of these and turn your cupcakes brown. You DO want to use a longer rectangular sprinkle like these.
How to Make Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
The basic method of baking cupcakes applies here. You want to mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together, separately. Then add together in a large bowl. Once incorporated, add in the sprinkles and fold into batter a few times. Do not over-mix because this funfetti cupcake batter is already taught.
Once the sprinkles are mixed in, scoop out batter in each greased muffin tin until all the batter is used up. The recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
Ah, yes. Because what is a cupcake without some frosting or glaze on top? The thing I love about this glaze is how easy and simple it is. Just combine almond milk, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk to combine. You can tailor it to your preference of a thicker glaze (more powdered sugar) or a thinner glaze (less powered sugar, more milk). The choice is yours, but I like somewhere between the two.
How to Store Funfetti Cupcakes
I would recommend storing them in an airtight container for 2-3 days on the counter. They start to become dry if you refrigerate them. I also like to heat mine up in the microwave for 15 seconds or put it on some ice cream ❤️ .
I don’t know why, but I feel personally connected to these cupcakes 😂 . Maybe because they gave me happiness in a time of uncertainty, anxiousness and boredom. Whatever it may be, I hope they brighten up your day as much as they did mine💕
Don’t forget to PIN it for later!
Feel free to leave a comment/star rating/review if you love this recipe as much as I do!Print
These funfetti cupcakes are homemade, healthier for you and have a super simple glaze on top! These funfetti cupcakes are made with greek yogurt, but can be modified to be vegan!
- 2 1/2 cups white flour (see substitution below)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk, I used vanilla unsweetened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (or vegetable, canola, grapeseed, avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sprinkles, these ones
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus more for a thicker glaze
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare a muffin dish with cupcake liners. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, almond milk, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix batter using spatula or wooden spoon until no clumps appear. Fold in 1/3 cup of sprinkles.
- Scoop out batter into greased muffin tins until the batter is gone. The recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
- Bake at 375F for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick runs clean.
- Remove from oven. While the cupcakes are cooling, combine ingredients for glaze in a small bowl. Spoon glaze over cooled cupcakes and consume immediately.
If using whole wheat flour, use 2 cups instead of 2.5 cups.
Can substitute 2 flax eggs for the regular eggs. However, know that the muffins will turn out darker and be less sweet.
Can sub dairy free yogurt in place of regular.
Can swap out 1 cup of sugar for 1 cup coconut sugar.
Make sure to use the correct sprinkles so the color won’t bleed – see the above image and link.
For a thicker glaze use more powdered sugar and less milk. For a thinner glaze, use more milk.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Funfetti cupcakes, funfetti cupcake recipe, healthy funfetti cupcakes, funfetti cupcakes with yogurt