This recipe for Instant Pot Chickpea Chicken Curry contains chickpeas, curry, chicken, light coconut milk and rice. It takes 15 minutes in an instant pot and is a great Indian dish or stew.
The colder temperatures lately have me craving some hearty stew with a nice hunk of sourdough bread on the side. There is nothing better than coming inside from blistery cold winds to a big bowl of pipping hot stew. The best part? 1 bowl, 15 minutes.
Enter, Instant Pot Chickpea Chicken Curry.
If you ever wonder why I name recipes a certain way, the simple answer is… I do it for google. It’s called SEO and keyword searching. Google loves a good recipe title, so hopefully this recipe title will come up on searches for related keywords.
Anyways, back to the Instant Pot recipe of the hour!
First off, who has an instant pot? I wasn’t crazy about mine at first, but it’s SO nice to set it and forget it. Another positive is that you only really have to dirty one dish, the chamber of the instant pot. It has a sauté function, so you don’t have to get out any other pans. If you want to read more about pros and cons of the instant pot, you can check out this post for my instant pot vegetarian quinoa chili.
PS- If you don’t have an instant pot, you can make this in the slow cooker too! See in the notes below.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Chickpea Chicken Curry
- Broccoli and Bell pepper: Packed with vitamin C! Which we could all use more of this time of year.
- Long whole grain brown rice: This type of rice is found at most, if not all, grocery stores. It retains the bran and the germ making this rice minimally processed and high in fiber.
- Chicken breast: This recipe calls for 2 large chicken breasts. They cooked beautifully in the instant pot and do not become dried out. When the instant pot is finished cooking, I remove the chicken breasts and place them in a bowl of a kitchen aid mixer to shred.
- Light coconut milk: Lighter in fat but the flavor is not compromised!
If you are a vegetarian, simply omit the chicken! Still tasty and high in protein from plant protein in the chickpeas!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to pin it for later and save to your recipe boards on Pinterest.Print
Instant Pot Chickpea Chicken Curry
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
This recipe for Instant Pot Chickpea Chicken Curry contains chickpeas, curry, chicken, light coconut milk and rice. It takes 15 minutes in an instant pot and is a great Indian dish.
2-3 large chicken breasts
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 heads of broccoli florets
1 cup long whole grain brown rice
1 cup water
2, 13 oz cans light coconut milk
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tsp brown sugar
2 ½ tbsp curry
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Zest of half a lemon
½ tsp salt (optional)
1, 15 oz can of chickpeas
- Add chicken, bell pepper, broccoli, rice and water to chamber of instant pot and mix to combine.
- Add in coconut milk and spice. Add half a zest of lemon and salt. Mix until spices are well incorporated.
- Secure instant pot lid and make sure the valve on top is turned to sealing.
- Manual button then increase time until 15 minutes shows. The instant pot will beep and begin to build pressure.
- After 15 minutes is complete, turn valve to venting and allow instant pot to release pressure.
- Remove lid and take chicken breast out to be shredded.
- Add chicken back into instant pot and add in drained chickpeas.
Stores up to 1 week in refrigerator or freezes for up to 1 year.
Crockpot: Add all ingredients, except the chickpeas, to crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours or low and slow for 8 hours. The chicken should be very tender and easily shred.
I buy my chicken from Costco, so their chicken breasts are pretty big. The easiest way to shred chicken is in the bowl of a kitchen aid mixer, saves so much time!
I love Thai Kitchen Lite Coconut milk, it has a smoother and more creamy texture than other brands.
If you are vegetarian, omit the chicken.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Soups, Stew, vegetarian
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Instant pot chickpea chicken curry, instant pot curry, instant pot chicken curry
Warms my soul, so good! Makes a nice big batch which is perfect for meal prep, too!
I made this both with chicken and vegetarian. Both were fantastic! I love Maggie's tone about food- she has such a positive attitude, never shaming, and all about balanced meals. She doesn't ban any one food group.
She's a smart and qualified dietician, which is sometimes rare on food blogs. Keep posting those amazing recipes Maggie!
Aw Nicole! You are so sweet thank you so much for the kind words !
I’m trying to do no sugar. What would happen if I left out the brown sugar?
Hey Tamera! It’s only 3 tsp so it wouldn’t impact the flavor too much 🙂
I tried this tonight. It’s the first thing I’ve made in my new Instant Pot and it was a big success. Really good. I did make a few substitutions based on what I had on hand. I used frozen broccoli instead of fresh. I cooked it in the microwave and added it at the end with the beans. I figured it would get mushy if I added it at the beginning. I substituted 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for the zest and regular coconut milk instead of light. Then I went to yoga and had my husband vent it and add the beans and broccoli I came home to a delicious dinner and a happy family!
That’s great to hear Sara !! Thank you so much for sharing your substitutes, always good to know you can modify if you don’t have other items on hand !
The pictures of your food looks so professional. Keep up the posting of your recipes. I do not spend much time in the kitchen but that hopefully will change with 2019 coming!