This festive popcorn puppy chow with pumpkin spice is only 5 ingredients and it makes for a special holiday gift or treat for parties. The taste of the pumpkin spice does not overpower the peanut buttery chocolate goodness!
I can’t remember the first time I had puppy chow. It’s something about the salty, crunchy, savory, sweet treat that gets everyone here in the midwest. Perhaps it’s the nostalgia, but then why isn’t everyone that way about deviled eggs?
I started to wonder why the recipe has the name of puppy chow, so I did some research. It turns out the Ralston Purina Company made Chex back in the 1950s. In World War I, soldiers called their rations “chow.” There isn’t an exact moment in time as to how the snack mix was branded with the name puppy chow. This article does a good job at explaining puppy chow’s history, in case you’re interested.
Back to this popcorn puppy chow and how to make this recipe with pumpkin spice.
- Popcorn: I make mine at home. Use 1/2 cup corn kernels and 2 tbsp of oil. I have a Whirley Pop, but you can also just use a big pot with a lid on the stove.
- Chocolate: Dark, milk or white chocolate will work with this recipe.
- Peanut Butter: Any creamy, generic peanut butter will do. I try and look for peanut butter that doesn’t have any additives. I look for “just peanuts” on the ingredients label.
- Powdered sugar: I used regular powdered sugar. If you try with a fine grain coconut powdered sugar, let me know in the comment below how it turned out.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: A little goes a long way with this! For every 10 cups of popcorn I made, I only used 1/2 tsp! It gives it a faint hint of pumpkin, not overpowering the other flavors of the popcorn puppy chow.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Popcorn Puppy Chow
- First off, if you are making popcorn from scratch, begin with that. Once the popcorn has popped fully, set it aside in a large bowl (preferably one with a lid).
- Next, in a medium bowl, melt the chocolate and peanut butter together in the microwave for 30 second increments until it’s melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate and peanut butter on the popcorn and toss to combine. You can also use a spatula if you don’t have a lid for the bowl.
- Lastly, sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on popcorn. Toss it with the powdered sugar and you’ve got yourself some pumpkin spice popcorn puppy chow!
More Festive Holiday Treats!
If you guys love this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! It helps to get me get noticed in this big internet world!Print
This festive popcorn puppy chow with pumpkin spice is only 5 ingredients and it can be a holiday gift or treat for parties.
How to make the popcorn:
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp oil
Popcorn Puppy Chow
- 10 cups popcorn
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- If you are making popcorn on the stovetop, pour in 2 tbsp oil over high heat and add popcorn kernels. Place lid on pot. Begin to shake the pot on the burner as the popcorn begins to pop. Once all the popcorn is popped, transfer to a large bowl, preferably one with a lid.
- In a medium bowl, pour in the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Microwave in 30 second increments until the chocolate is melted, stirring as needed.
- When it’s finished, stir the chocolate and peanut butter mixture and pour over the bowl of popcorn. Use a spatula or toss to coat the popcorn evenly.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice over the popcorn, toss to coat or use a spatula to mix.
- Add in the powdered sugar to the popcorn. Place the lid on the bowl or transfer to a large plastic bag. Toss to combine.
Keywords: popcorn puppy chow, pumpkin spice puppy chow, popcorn puppy chow with pumpkin spice, pumpkin spice popcorn puppy chow