This chicken fajita casserole with quinoa makes six to eight servings, which is great for meal prep. Bonus that it’s gluten free and made entirely in one dish!
All right, so I’m pretty excited about this recipe. My friend and I were out for drinks and she actually gave me the idea on this one. There are so many things to love about this recipe, but the main one is that it can feed you for dayzzzz. No, seriously guys – days. The amount of quinoa and chicken in the recipe will make you feel fuller for longer and topping it with avocado and greek yogurt/sour cream is a must.
Some more positive things about this chicken fajita casserole:
- Gluten free: Thank you, quinoa
- One dish meal: Literally put everything in the casserole dish and bake it. No pre-cooking or sautéing to be had here, folks.
- Versatile: You like more spice? Okay – add a 4oz can of green chilies. You like more vegetables? Sure – add some corn or black beans to the casserole prior to baking. Throw it on a tortilla and make it into actual fajitas!
- Meal prep goodness: Yes, because it’s a casserole expect six to eight meals out of it. Praise Be.
How to Make a Chicken Fajita Casserole
This recipe is so simple. It takes only 10 minutes to prep and then you bake it in the oven!
Start by cutting up the peppers, which can be a mix of whatever colors you like. Next, cube the chicken and place it all in the casserole dish and sprinkle with fajita seasoning. If you don’t want to use a fajita seasoning packet, here is a great recipe for a low sodium option.
Next, add the chicken broth and quinoa. Cover the chicken fajita casserole with tin foil and bake it in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, stir the casserole to ensure even cooking. Keep it covered and bake for another 20 minutes. Once it’s finished, remove it from the oven. Squeeze a lime and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Let it sit covered with the foil for another 10 minutes to melt the rest of the cheese and let the water absorb.
Other Favorite Casserole Recipes
- Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
- Protein Packed Breakfast Casserole
- Everything Bagel Cauliflower Casserole
- Baked Polenta and Mushroom Casserole
Hope you love this chicken fajita casserole with quinoa as much as I do. Please comment below with any modifications made so that other readers can learn from it too! I would love to hear how much you liked the recipe too! Tag me on social, #mealswithmaggie!Print
This chicken fajita casserole recipe is a great for meal prep. It’s gluten free and is made entirely in one dish!
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 Large chicken breasts, cubed
- 1–2 tbsp of fajita seasoning mix (or this homemade recipe will work)
- 2 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa (dry/uncooked)
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1–2 cups shredded cheese for topping
Garnish: sour cream/greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro, lime, tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place chicken breast and bell peppers in a 9×13 casserole dish. Sprinkle fajita seasoning and mix to coat.
- Gently pour chicken broth and quinoa in the casserole dish. Cover with tin foil and bake at 375F for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes is up, stir the contents and place it back in the oven, covered with tin foil for another 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes is up turn off the oven and remove the tin foil and squeeze 1/2 of the lime juice over the casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and place the tin foil back on top of the casserole dish for another 10 minutes, outside of the oven.
- Remove the tin foil and serve with more lime juice, cilantro, greek yogurt, more cheese or tortilla chips.
You can add corn, black beans, green chiles or onions to the casserole if you want. You might have to adjust the liquids if adding beans since they tend to absorb some liquid.
Keywords: chicken fajita casserole, chicken fajita casserole recipe, chicken fajita casserole with quinoa, gluten free chicken fajita casserole
Don’t forget to pin it for later !