This stuffed acorn squash with mushrooms recipe is the perfect side for your next holiday party. They are filled with savory flavors like mushrooms and wild rice.
Another holiday recipe coming at you today with this stuffed acorn squash recipe. Acorn squash is a season favorite around our house this time of year. It's hearty and sweet, but works well with savory ingredients too.
Who has started their holiday shopping? I am a big Black Friday shopper, so I will probably be waiting until then to begin! My mom just called me and she is already shopping😂
Health Benefits of Winter Squash
- Low glycemic index: This means that instead of spiking blood sugar, winter squash helps to release sugar slowly and steadily into our digestive tract.
- High in fiber: No surprise that winter squash, especially acorn squash, is high in fiber and contributes to the recommended amount of 25g/day.
- Full of Vitamin A and C: Acorn squash is full of carotenoids, due to it's orange inside color. Not only is it high in Vitamin A, but also in vitamin C, which is a huge factor in immune system support.
Ingredients in Stuffed Acorn Squash
First, you will want to find 2 acorn squash. The great thing about acorn squash is that they can be stored out on the counter for several weeks before going bad.
I used a long grain wild rice that took approximately 30-40 minutes to cook (or faster if you have a rice cooker or instant pot!). Alternatively, you can use faro, wheat berries, quinoa, couscous or quick cooking brown rice for this recipe.
To cook the wild rice I used vegetable broth and added a tablespoon of butter.
This stuffed acorn squash with mushrooms is a great side dish for the holidays! It can be made dairy free/vegan if using vegan butter and opting out of the parmesan cheese topping. Don't forget to pin it for later!
If you love this recipe, please leave a star rating/comment below! It allows me to get noticed in this big internet world!Print
This stuffed acorn squash recipe is the perfect side for your next holiday party. The squash are filled with savory flavors like mushrooms and all spice.
- 2 acorn squash, halved
- cooking spray
- scant salt and pepper
Filling for Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1 cup of wild rice (can sub quinoa, faro, couscous, wheat berry, brown rice or other grain)
- 1 ¾ cup vegetable broth (or the water ratio for whatever grain you are cooking)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 16 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 handful of spinach (fresh or frozen is fine)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp all spice
Garnish: Sliced almonds, grated parmesan cheese and parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare acorn squash by spraying the inside of the squash with cooking spray (or cooking oil can be used) and seasoning it with scant salt and pepper. Lay the acorn squash on a baking sheet (flesh side down) and bake for 35 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the filling by making the wild rice according to package instructions. Use the vegetable broth to replace the water and add a tablespoon of butter.
- In a sauce pan, add cooking oil, garlic, mushrooms and onion. Cook over medium high heat until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender. Add in spinach to wilt.
- Once the wild rice has finished cooking, add it to the mushroom mixture. Add the all spice seasoning and salt. Mix well.
- Once the squash have finished cooking, remove from the oven and turn the squash so that the inside faces up. Fill each squash with the rice and mushroom mixture. Place it back in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes.
- After the time is up, add the sliced almonds, parmesan cheese and parsley to each acorn squash.
You will need to adjust the amount of vegetable broth used if you use a grain other than wild rice.
Dairy free/vegan: omit the parmesan cheese and sub vegan butter.
You may have some leftover mushroom rice mixture depending on how big the acorn squash are.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: side dish, thanksgiving, Christmas
- Method: roasting, sautéing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Stuffed Acorn Squash, Stuffed acorn squash recipe, stuffed acorn squash with mushrooms, vegetarian stuffed acorn squash