These instant pot mashed sweet potatoes are made in the instant pot and are a fool-proof recipe for a go-to holiday side dish. Customize the ingredients to be dairy free, gluten free or vegan!
All right, I know I have been flooding your inbox with Thanksgiving recipes these past couple weeks, but know that the end is in sight. I just finished up making my editorial calendar for the rest of the year and we’ve got some desserts and meal prep recipes headed your way!
This week I wanted to give you a recipe method that you can customize yourself. Meaning that you can add in whatever you would like, but the basic way of making them is the same. These instant pot mashed sweet potatoes are one of the easiest holiday side dishes to make. Why are they so easy? You can keep the ingredients to under 5!
What You Will Need
- Instant pot: I have a lot of instant pot recipes on my site. If you don’t have one you should definitely look into getting one! It’s so easy to set it and forget it!
- Sweet potatoes: This recipe calls for about 3 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped.
- Salt & water: Just a 1/2 tsp of salt and you will fill up the instant pot with water just above the sweet potatoes.
Six Mashed Sweet Potato Variations/Flavor Pairings
- Butter, thyme leaves and cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of orange juice, nutmeg and pecans
- Almond milk, pecans and brown sugar
- Garlic, parmesan and parsley
- Maple syrup, bacon and gruyere
- Cream, truffle and chives
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
You will want to start out by peeling and roughly chopping the sweet potatoes into cubes. From there, place them in the bottom of the instant pot and pour 1/2 tsp of salt over them.
Fill the instant pot with water until it is just above the sweet potatoes. Secure the lid and make sure the valve is turned to sealing. Next, set the timer for 8 minutes. Once the 8 minutes is up, turn the valve to venting to release steam. Drain the water from the instant pot and mash the sweet potatoes using a potato masher or electric mixer.
Lastly, add in the flavors you would like your sweet potatoes to be. See above paragraph or the recipe notes for ideas!
If you love this recipe, please leave a review/star rating! This allows me to get noticed in this big internet world!
I would also love to hear if you came up with a different flavor combination to add to the sweet potatoes!Print
These instant pot mashed sweet potatoes are made in the instant pot and are a fool-proof recipe for a go-to holiday side dish.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- water to fill the instant pot
Flavor combinations to add in:
- Butter + cinnamon + thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp orange juice + nutmeg + pecans
- Almond milk + pecans + brown sugar
- Garlic + parmesan + parsley
- Maple syrup + bacon + gruyere
- Cream + Truffle + Chives
- Place the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the instant pot.
- Fill the instant pot with water until just above the sweet potatoes.
- Pour the salt over the sweet potatoes and water.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and make sure the valve is on sealing. Set a manual timer for 8 minutes. Once the time is up, turn the valve to venting to release steam.
- Drain the water from the cooked sweet potatoes and season with ingredients of choice.
Nutrition is calculated using just sweet potato base.
- Category: side dish, thanksgiving, Christmas
- Method: Pressure cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot mashed sweet potatoes, instant pot sweet potatoes, easy mashed sweet potato recipe