This taco salad meal prep bowl recipe takes under 30 minutes to make and is packed with protein and fiber. It makes 5 servings for a healthy meal prep all week long.
Today the temperature reached 40F. 40!! This is amazing because we've had mid twenty temps for the past couple weeks. I am enjoying every bit of sunshine that comes our way now until April. As much as I love making wintery foods in the wintertime, I love to make lighter meals too. This taco salad is like a shiny bright light in my fridge that reminds me of warmer times.
I think I might need to move to Florida. 😆
It's good to have a recipe that breaks up the normal cheese, butter heavy foods that come with the cooler temps. This healthy taco salad is filled with fiber, healthy fats and lean protein that will keep your heart happy!
Ingredients in Taco Salad Meal Prep Bowls
- Ground turkey: I always look for at least 90% lean turkey and organic, if you can.
- Taco seasoning: You can buy a low sodium package of taco seasoning. If you want to make your own, check out this post for a fajita blend - just don't add the cornstarch.
- Black beans and corn: I used canned for the quickness and simplicity.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers are high in vitamin C (great for this time of year especially) and fiber!
- Lettuce: I chose romaine for this taco salad recipe because it can withstand 5 days in the fridge without wilting.
- Cherry tomatoes: You can also buy a regular tomato and diced it finely. Just try and drain some of the juice out prior to adding it to the salad bowls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it gluten free?
This salad can be made gluten free if using gluten free taco seasoning and gluten free tortilla chips.
Is this taco salad dairy free?
Just use dairy free Greek yogurt for the cilantro lime dressing and you are good to go!
Is this salad high in protein?
Yes, if you use 1 pound of turkey and the black beans it comes out to about 30 grams of protein per serving.Print
This taco salad meal prep bowl recipe takes under 30 minutes to make and is packed with protein and fiber.
- 1-1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 pint of tomatoes, quartered
- 3 multi-colored bell peppers, diced
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- 5 small handfuls of tortilla chips (GF variety if needed)
- Garnish: lime and cilantro
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- ½ cup yogurt, greek and plain (dairy free variety as needed)
- ⅓ cup EVOO
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tbsp honey
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- Cook ground turkey in a saute pan and mix in taco seasoning packet. Add ¼ cup water to make it a slurry. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients for the cilantro lime dressing. Blend until smooth.
- Equally portion out ingredients in 5 Tupperware containers for 5 meals. Store the dressing in a separate container to prevent salad from getting soggy. Store the tortilla chips in a separate bag as well. Prior to serving, crush up the tortilla chips and place them on top. Pour 2 tbsp of the cilantro lime dressing over top the salad and serve immediately. Garnish with lime and cilantro.
To prevent the diced avocado from browning, squeeze a bit of lime over them.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Lunch, dinner
- Method: saute, assemble & blend
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
Keywords: taco salad, taco salad recipe, taco salad meal prep bowls, taco salad bowls, taco salad with tortilla chips, healthy taco salad