This healthy Mediterranean cauliflower salad is filled with plant protein and flavors of dates, feta, almonds, cinnamon and tahini. The lemon tahini dressing has a slight spicy note that pairs well with the warm cinnamon flavors of the cauliflower.
You GUYS, the old me is back! I finally feel like I’m starting to eat my normal foods again. I mean, of course there is still the occasional I’m pregnant leave me alone food. But after a short trip to Florida, I feel rejuvenated and reenergized to bring you guys recipes of foods that I TRULY like and would eat.
When I was scheduling out my editorial calendar for this month, I was trying to push myself to make these recipes that I didn’t want to eat or make and that’s just not gonna fly. So today, I bring you this mediterranean cauliflower salad.
Ingredients in Healthy Cauliflower Salad
- Roasted cauliflower with cinnamon: When this is cooking in the oven, it smells amazing.
- Chopped dates: If you haven’t had dates, do yourself a favor and get to your local grocery store and buy a bag. You can just buy 2-3 if you want from the produce section too. Sometimes they have them in bulk bins. I am in love with dates, I eat them before I workout with almond butter. The taste is like caramel.
- Feta & sliced almonds: Notice a trend yet? This healthy cauliflower salad embodies mediterranean flavor. The feta adds a nice salty note while the almonds add a crunch and dose of healthy fats.
- Quinoa: Because what would a plant based salad be without this seed? It adds protein to the salad. Make it up ahead of time and let it cool before assembling into the salad.
- Finely chopped spinach: I wanted to get us some greens (hello iron for baby) in this cauliflower salad, so I added some chopped spinach. If you don’t like spinach, arugula would be a good alternative.
- Option to add black lentils or spiced chickpeas for an additional protein boost.
Lemon Tahini Dressing
Let’s talk about this lemon tahini dressing for a second. If you don’t like tahini, which is ground sesame seeds, you can use another creamy dressing like this almond turmeric dressing or a store bought variety. Sesame seeds are found in the Middle East and tahini is common in Mediterranean cooking, so it paired well with this salad.
- Tahini: You can find this in multiple places at the grocery store. I found some in the Kosher section and the international foods aisle.
- Lemon: Use half of the lemon for juicing and save the other to slice up and squeeze onto the salad right before eating.
- Cayenne & Cumin spices: This lemon tahini dressing has a little kick to it. If you don’t want the heat, just omit the cayenne or decrease the amount.
To mix up the dressing, I used an immersion blender (like this one on Amazon) so that the dressing is a homogenous mixture. If you have a blender, that will work too.
If you like this recipe check out these other fun recipes!
- Mediterranean Cucumber Yogurt Dip
- Green Goddess Greek Power Bowl
- Chickpea salad with Mint and Pistachios
Don’t forget to PIN IT for later!Print
This Mediterranean cauliflower salad is filled with plant protein and flavors of dates, feta, almonds, cinnamon and tahini. The lemon tahini dressing has a slight spicy note that pairs well with the warm cinnamon flavors of the cauliflower.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 head of cauliflower, stem removed
- 2 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 8 dates, pitted & chopped
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup almonds, slivered
- 4 big handfuls of spinach, chopped
- garnish: cracked black pepper and squeeze of lemon
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Cracked pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare sheet pan for roasting cauliflower.
- Remove stem from the head of the cauliflower and chop into florets. Place cauliflower on the sheet pan and drizzle with 1-2 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil. Add cinnamon and toss to coat until each cauliflower floret has cinnamon on it.
- Bake the sheet pan for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Once it’s finished cooking, set it aside.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, mix ingredients together for lemon tahini dressing. You can do this in a blender or immersion hand blender until smooth.
- Assemble the salad by combining a fourth of all ingredients in a bowl as this recipe serves four. Drizzle with lemon tahini dressing and garnish with a squeeze of lemon or black pepper as desired.
You can add spiced chickpeas, black lentils or tofu for added protein.
This salad can be served hot or cold.
Option to sub arugula for spinach.
Option to sub almond turmeric dressing for lemon tahini dressing.
- Category: Salad, Lunch, Dinner, Vegetarian
- Method: Roasting, Assemble
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean cauliflower salad, cauliflower salad recipe, quinoa cauliflower salad, roasted cauliflower salad, healthy cauliflower salad