This shaved turkey salad recipe is a great way to use up deli counter turkey or Thanksgiving day turkey. It is filled with vibrant greens, fresh grapes, toasted pine nuts and tangy blue cheese.
Confession time, lately I’ve been very into blue cheese. Like abnormally into blue cheese to the point that I’ve been putting it on everything. Does anyone else get into food jags where they just don’t eat anything else except the three same things? Well, that was me this week with six batches of pumpkin zucchini muffins, buffalo chicken salad and blue freaking cheese. This is all a side note, this shaved turkey salad is where it’s at today.
Many people think of turkey salad in the traditional way with mayo, celery, grapes etc… This turkey salad is made with shaved deli turkey that you can buy from your grocer. I love to ask for a thicker cut of turkey, it keeps me more full and balances the salad out.
Ingredients in Turkey Salad Recipe
- Grapes: The red kind! Not the tart green grapes, a nice sweet red grape sliced right in half.
- Quinoa: I love quiona! For those of you who don’t any other ancient grain would work here like couscous, wheat berries, faro, etc…
- Blue cheese: You need the blue, if not blue than gorgonzola. If not gorgonzola, then you’re just not doing it right 😉
- Pine nuts: Go ahead and toast them. It will turn the flavor up a notch. Place them in a sauté pan on medium heat and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Spinach: High in vitamin K, A, folate and Iron. This powerhouse green will be dressed in my 5-ingredient creamy salad dressing and you won’t even notice you’re eating spinach.
- Sweet potato chips: I adapted this turkey salad recipe from a local restaurant and they had sweet potato fries with some fried onions on top. I omitted the onions but any store-bought sweet potato chip should work well. There are options in the grocery store with little added ingredients. They also give the salad a nice crunch!
I’m sure this turkey salad would be great with leftover thanksgiving turkey not just deli counter turkey. I’m always looking for ways to use up that giant bird. Pin this recipe for later so you don’t forget!Print
This shaved turkey salad recipe is a great way to use up deli counter turkey or leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It’s filled with vibrant green, fresh grapes, toasted pine nuts and tangy blue cheese.
To make one individual salad:
- 1.5 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/4 lb shaved deli turkey (I prefer a thicker cut for this recipe)
- 2 tbsp blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup sweet potato chips, crumbled or crushed
- 1 tbsp pine nuts (toast them if you wish)
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved
- 2–3 tbsp creamy salad dressing
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl, toss with dressing and enjoy!
The thicker the cut of turkey, the better in my opinion.
If you want to toast the pine nuts: Lightly heat them on the stovetop for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey salad, deli turkey salad, turkey salad recipe